NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A toddler was in his bedroom in the Highbridge section of the Bronx early Wednesday morning when a firework sailed in through the sixth-floor window, burning him.
It was just the latest in a series of dangerous incidents across the city, CBS2’s Natalie Duddridge reported.
Three-year-old Adiel and his sisters were woken up by the sound of fireworks around 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, and they looked out their sixth-floor window on Anderson Avenue.
Cell phone video shows the moment the firework blasted into their bedroom and hit the 3-year-old boy.
As the video shows, there’s a sudden flash and then screams, which woke up the child’s father.
“Heard a baby crying, fireworks came through the window,” the father said. “He got burned all over his arm, and they had to give him at least five stitches. And that was it. I took him to the hospital, myself.”
“The fireworks were, like, spreading around, one of them came in. It, like, almost destroyed everything in our room. There was also fire at my favorite teddy bear,” the boy’s sister said.
The boy was treated and then returned home, but all day detectives could be seen investigating the top-floor window and looking for surveillance video to find the people responsible.
Illegal fireworks have been an ongoing issue in New York City in recent weeks. There have been some 13,000 reports this year, compared to just over 1,000 in 2019.
Another video captured images of fireworks being launched at police officers on Ocean Avenue in Brooklyn.
Police are also on the hunt for the guy behind a horrendous attack on a 66-year-old homeless person in Harlem that left the victim with burns.
All of it has led Mayor Bill de Blasio to announce the formation of a fireworks task force, which will be going after sellers, not users.
But neighbors said they have had enough, and want to see more police patrols on the street.
“Devastating. Could’ve been my child, grandchild, anybody’s child. The fireworks are really getting out of hand and you don’t even know. Sometimes around here it’s fireworks. Sometimes it’s shootings,” one Bronx resident said.
As for the 3-year-old, his family said even his blankets and teddy bear were burned.
“If I hear fireworks, I’ll just go under my blanket to not get hurt,” the boy’s sister said.
Their parents hope their children won’t be afraid to go to sleep at night.