WHAT WE KNOW SO FAR…
- THE VICTIMS: Remembering Those Lost: ‘They Would Do Anything For You’
- THE INVESTIGATION: Officials Cite Failed Inspection, Wrong License
- THE DANGER: How To Stay Safe When Booking A Limousine Ride
SCHOHARIE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Four sisters are among the dead in a horrific limousine crash that killed 18 passengers celebrating a birthday and two pedestrians at an intersection about 25 miles west of Albany.
According to New York State Police, a 2011 Ford Excursion limousine was traveling on State Route 30 in Schoharie on Saturday afternoon when it failed to stop at an intersection with State Route 30-A, reports CBS2’s Lisa Rozner.
The limo, on its way to a brewery, drove into a parking lot and struck an empty SUV. The struck vehicle was hit with such force that it was thrown into the two nearby pedestrians who were killed, state police officials said.
“You just can’t wrap your head around it, you just can’t,” said Barbara Douglas, aunt of four victims. “They did the responsible thing so they wouldn’t have to drive anywhere.”
THE VICTIMS: Remembering Those Lost: ‘They Would Do Anything For You’
* Family, friends, coworkers and officials share their thoughts on those who died Saturday.
THE INVESTIGATION: Officials Cite Failed Inspection, Wrong License
* Gov. Andrew Cuomo, the National Transportation Safety Board and the New York State Police are all weighing in on what they have learned so far about this crash.
THE DANGER: How To Stay Safe When Booking A Limousine Ride
* It begins with seat belts and move on to knowing what to look for before getting into the vehicle.