Mobile COVID vaccination units to a site at the American Museum of Natural History; the city is trying to meet people where they are.READ MORE: New York Relaxes Most COVID Restrictions After Reaching 70% Vaccination Rate: 'A Momentous Day'
“I just don’t want to be the beginning test subject,” Bronx resident Smick Nixon said.
There’s still more convincing to do, especially in the Bronx, where 27% of residents have received at least one dose, compared to the 45% citywide.
Melanie Hartzog, deputy mayor of health and human services, says the city is modifying outreach efforts.
“It’s the really being creative about opportunities to go outdoors and events. At parks, we want to do events. So it’s those type of strategies we’re going to be moving into,” Hartzog told CBS2’s Aundrea Cline-Thomas.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
On April 8, a record 115,795 COVID doses were administered.
The number has plummeted to nearly 32,500 on Thursday as supply, once scarce, now outpaces demand.
“I do think that we’re going to start to see a little bit of leveling off, but most certainly, very hopeful that we can reach our goal,” Hartzog said.READ MORE: Fireworks To Honor Essential Workers Tonight As New York Lifts Most COVID Restrictions
That goal is to vaccinate 5 million city residents by the end of June, all while plans of fully reopening are moving full steam ahead.
“If a substantial number of people don’t want to be vaccinated, we’re going to see this virus continue to infect people,” said epidemiologist Dr. Stanley Weiss, with Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.
A virus that’s still deadly and mutating.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Weiss explains vaccines are the only defense because we won’t reach herd immunity.
“Can COVID ever go away?” Cline-Thomas asked.
“We don’t know if it will ever go away. Right now, it looks like it may be with us for the indefinite future,” Weiss said.
That’s why the focus has moved from mass vaccination sites to more personalized efforts, trying to convince New Yorkers, one shot at a time.
Private doctors are being urged to have conversations with their patients during routine check-ups.MORE NEWS: New York City To Hold July 7 'Hometown Heroes' Ticker Tape Parade For Health Care Workers, First Responders, Essential Workers
Most of those who have a change of heart have to be encouraged by a source they trust.