NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Nearly 900 people in New York City are being advised to get vaccinated again after receiving expired doses of the Pfizer vaccine.
Fifteen-year-old Dante Swift had to get his COVID vaccine three times.READ MORE: COVID In New York: Mask Mandates Not Being Re-Imposed Just Yet As Concern Grows Over Delta Variant
“I’m feel more sick, definitely more tired. My arm hurts a lot more than it did the last time,” he told CBS2’s Ali Bauman in an exclusive interview.
Dante got his second, and what he thought would be final, dose of the Pfizer shot on June 6 at the Times Square location run by ATC Vaccination Services, one of the city’s many vax distributors.
Then on Friday, the family got an email from the health department informing them Dante got an expired dose.
“It says that the vaccine was in the freezer for too long,” mother Gabrielle Napolitano Swift said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
It went on to say since the city cannot guarantee the effectiveness of an expired dose, Dante should get another shot.
“The kid’s only 15. That’s a lot of medication to put in a young body,” Napolitano Swift.READ MORE: New York City Rolls Out $100 Incentive For Getting Vaccinated As CDC Report Warns Delta Variant As Contagious As Chicken Pox
Dante is one of 899 people receiving the same notice after getting the Pfizer shot at the Times Square location between June 5-10.
“It’s not like it was one day that they messed up. It was five days,” Napolitano Swift said.
In a statement, ATC Vaccination Services told CBS2 in part, “We apologize for the inconvenience … and want people first and foremost to know that we have been advised that there is no danger from the vaccine they received.”
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
The family told Bauman after all that, they did not want to come back to Times Square for Dante’s third shot, so they tried going to another vaccine location in the city.
“They looked his name up. They said, ‘It says he’s done. I don’t know what we can do,'” Napolitano Swift said.
So they had to go back to Times Square, and now Dante has to wait another two weeks for full immunity.
“I was gonna hang out with my friends, but now we’re probably going to have to wait a little longer,” he said.MORE NEWS: Broadway Vaccine Mandate: Audiences Must Be Vaccinated And Masked; Performers, Crew And Staff Required To Be Vaccinated
The city says it is still sending emails and letters and making phone calls to make sure everyone affected is aware.