NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — New York City’s new vaccine mandate was supposed to go into effect Monday, but now Mayor Bill de Blasio says it is happening Tuesday.
Proof of vaccination will be required to take part in certain indoor activities.READ MORE: Vaccine Mandate For NYC Teachers, Department Of Education Workers Put On Hold By Federal Judge
As CBS2’s Hazel Sanchez reports, some businesses are already preparing.
On the Upper West Side, befitnyc is ahead of the curve, already requiring employees and gym members in order to enter workout spaces.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
Owner Fernando Salomone says the “Key To NYC Pass” makes it easier for him to enforce rules to keep his business safe.
“The new regulation is heaven for us. Because now it’s not our idea. We respect the regulation of the city,” Salomone said.
Starting Tuesday, people who work in gyms, restaurants and indoor entertainment venues like comedy clubs, theaters and museums will be required to be vaccinated with the COVID vaccine. Anyone wanting to enter those venues will have to show proof they’ve been vaccinated as well, will the city’s NYC COVID Safe app, the state’s Excelsior Pass, or their paper vaccination card.
“Definitely I will feel safer,” one person said.
“It’s going to bring a little division between people, I bet,” said Mackenzie Reid.READ MORE: Gov. Kathy Hochul Increases Pressure On COVID Vaccine Holdouts As Deadline For Health Care Workers Approaches
Befitgym has a system in place to easily check vaccination status.
Once members show valid proof of getting at least one shot, their status is entered into a database. Every time they check in, scanning their key card, their vaccination status is confirmed on a screen.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Monday, Empanada Mama in Hell’s Kitchen is starting to request proof of vaccination for all employees and dine-in customers, they’ll be required to check when the city starts enforcing the rules on Sept. 13.
“For today, it’s OK, but moving forward, get vaccinated so we can keep New York safe,” said Brittany Doyley.
Businesses that don’t comply will face consequences: $1,000 for the first offense, $2,000 for the second, and $5,000 for the third.
Over the next month, the city will be educating businesses on what’s expected of them, and will also offer online training on how to deal with customers who refuse to abide by the rules.
“Specifically for small and medium sized businesses who want tips on how to turn someone away. How they can deescalate the situation,” said de Blasio.MORE NEWS: De Blasio Says City Prepared For School Staffing Shortages As COVID Vaccine Deadline Approaches
John Dias contributed to this report.