People lined up on Columbia Street early in the morning for tests on the Lower East Side, while thousands took advantage of free at-home test kits, CBS2’s Kevin Rincon reported.READ MORE: New York State Supreme Court Strikes Down Gov. Kathy Hochul's Mask Mandate
“We got out of our pajamas and put on pants as fast as possible,” Bob Kreizel said.
At-home COVID tests were handed out, almost like Christmas gifts, across the city.
“It’s a holiday present in the sense that we can spend time with friends and family now, hopefully, safely,” one person said.
Chopper 2 saw the long line from high above Manhattan.
MANHATTAN: Corner of West 125th St and Malcolm X Blvd, 10027
QUEENS: Woodhaven, Jamaica Ave and 92nd Street, 11421
STATEN ISLAND: SI Ferry, 1 Bay St, 10301
Free at-home test kits are also available at City-run test sites: https://t.co/hnU8YAS15r
— Mayor Bill de Blasio (@NYCMayor) December 23, 2021
Mayor Bill de Blasio said the city will hand out another 2,000 kits at the following sites beginning at 9 a.m. Friday:
- THE BRONX: Corner of E Fordham Road and E Kingsbridge Road in Bryan Park
- BROOKLYN: Corner of Church Ave and Flatbush Ave in Flatbush
- MANHATTAN: Corner of West 125th Street and Malcolm X Boulevard
- QUEENS: Corner of Jamaica Avenue and 92nd Street in Woodside
- STATEN ISLAND: Staten Island Ferry, 1 Bay Street
FIND TESTING SITES: Click here for New York City’s testing site locator, including mobile sites and at-home appointments
AVOID THE LINES: Click here for NYC Health+Hospitals testing wait times
The rapid tests are the same ones that have been flying off store shelves. Some pharmacies put limits on how many customers can buy in order to manage the demand.Standoff In Nassau Between County Executive Blakeman And Gov. Hochul Over Masks In Schools Continues
“We think someone in his class has it, so it’s a close contact. So we’re doing this to make sure we can still have Christmas Eve,” Cucuzza said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
The tests were about peace of mind for many.
“I’m in line to get a test today because I am going to see my 91-year-old dad, Christmas on Saturday. He’s boosted, but he’s still 91,” said Maura Kanuri.
“Both my son and my daughter’s schools were closed because of exposure, so we just want to make sure we’re safe for the holidays,” said Victor Eodenmiller.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
Wait times for results are an issue. While rapid tests take 15 minutes, PCR tests can take days since labs are stretched thin.MORE NEWS: COVID-19 Update: New Synthetic Antibody Appears To Block Omicron, All Other Known Variants
CBS2’s Kevin Rincon contributed to this report.