“On Friday, the health department released a communication to health workers, principally pediatricians, called a ‘health alert,'” said Bassett. “It pointed out that we’d observed an uptick in pediatric admissions concentrated in the New York City area, where there was an increase of about four fold.”READ MORE: NYC Mourning NYPD Officers Wilbert Mora, Jason Rivera After Deadly Ambush In Harlem
The numbers still don’t point to an “epidemic” of the virus among children, Bassett said. The statistics, according to her, include children who tested positive before entering the hospital and some after they were already admitted.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
From Dec. 5-11, there were 70 new pediatric hospitalizations statewide, including 22 in the city.
From Dec. 12-18, there were 104 new pediatric hospitalizations statewide, including 43 in the city.
From Dec. 19-23, the state recorded 184 new pediatric hospitalizations, including 109 in the city.
As of Dec. 24, none of the children ages 5-11 who were hospitalized were vaccinated, Bassett said.READ MORE: 5 Hurt, Dozens Displaced After Passaic Fire
Watch: Gov. Kathy Hochul, Dr. Mary Bassett Discuss Pediatric COVID Uptick
“Our vaccination rates among 5-to-11-year-olds remain disappointingly low,” she said. “It’s clear that vaccination really reduces the chance of severe illness. Boosting, if you’re eligible for it, really adds to that.”
FIND TESTING SITES: Click here for New York City’s testing site locator, including mobile sites and at-home appointments
Only 16% of 5-11-year-olds in the state have been vaccinated, Hochul said.
AVOID THE LINES: Click here for NYC Health+Hospitals testing wait times
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
“The numbers that we gave on pediatric admissions weren’t intended to make it seem that children were having an epidemic of infection,” Bassett added. “It really was to motivate pediatricians and families to seek the protection of vaccination.”MORE NEWS: Bald Eagle Spotted At Central Park Reservoir
Gov. Hochul said her administration is encouraging the FDA to approve the COVID vaccine for children under 5 years old.