NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — There’s an update on an apartment fire in the Bronx that left 12 people hurt.
The FDNY says the blaze was sparked by an electric scooter’s lithium ion battery. The scooter was stored in someone’s living room.READ MORE: 'Today, I Can Rejoice': New Yorkers Hit The Streets After Jury Finds Derek Chauvin Guilty In George Floyd's Death
The fire broke out just before 11 a.m. Tuesday at an apartment building on Watson Avenue in the Soundview section.
According to the FDNY, the smoke alarm in the apartment where the fire started was not working.
Cause of yesterday’s all-hands fire at 1720 Watson Ave. in the Bronx was accidental, electrical (lithium ion battery from an electric scooter stored in the living room). Smoke alarm not operational in fire apartment. pic.twitter.com/1JAoKNpRfmREAD MORE: Activists Celebrate Conviction Of Derek Chauvin In George Floyd's Death, But Say Fight Is Not Over: 'Tomorrow, We Still Have To Dismantle Systemic Oppression'
— FDNY (@FDNY) January 13, 2021
The FDNY says 12 people were hurt, including two firefighters.
Four civilians, including a child, were last reported to be in critical condition.MORE NEWS: Police: Gabriel Dewitt Wilson In Custody After Deadly Shooting At West Hempstead Stop & Shop
MORE FROM CBS NEW YORK