KEARNY, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Mega vaccination sites keep opening in New Jersey, but an appointment is nearly impossible to find due to a lack of supply.
CBS2’s Meg Baker was on hand Tuesday at the opening of a new Hudson County site.READ MORE: Sources: Salman Muflihi Faces Hate Crime Charges In Stabbing Of Asian Man In Lower Manhattan
Drive in, check in, stick your arm out the window and you are vaccinated, all from the comfort of your car. On Tuesday, Gov. Phil Murphy toured the new site in Kearny at the U.S.S. Juneau Emergency Management Center with other local leaders.
“Very excited to see you got a shot here,” Murphy said.
“Easy, safe and it will help you,” EMT Albert Romano said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
The site administered 1,200 COVID-19 inoculations on Friday, but officials said they could have done more.
“Very frustrated that they’ve set up the infrastructure ready to do what we all know needs to be done and we don’t have the dosages,” Hudson County Executive Thomas Degise said.
“Only open half the day. It’s frustrating to everybody, but this is the situation we find ourselves in,” Deputy County Administrator David Drumeler said.Elizabeth Galarza Arrested For Allegedly Repeatedly Punching 2-Year-Old In The Face On Subway
If you cannot find an appointment, you are not alone.
“We are not registering individuals unless we have the vaccine. While we are all frustrated, that might be something that is helping with the frustration a bit. We haven’t had to turn anyone away because we are not taking registrations until we have the vaccine in hand,” Hudson County health officer Carrie Nawrocki said.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Explanation Of N.Y.’s Yellow, Orange, Red Zones (.pdf)
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
This week, Hudson County is expected to receive 3,500 doses, but Jersey City, alone, is requesting 4,000.
“It’s 10 pounds of bologna in a 5-pound bag,” Degise said.
Dr. Perry Halkitis, dean of the Rutgers School of Public Health, said he believes the state will be in a much different place in two weeks.
“We will likely have the third vaccine available, which is the Janssen vaccine. We will have the [Defense] Production Act, which has already been initiated, which will produce even more vaccine,” Halkitis said.
Health experts are reminding people that the vaccine is only one part of the solution to ending the pandemic. Everyone must remain vigilant, mask up and social distance.
CBS2’s Meg Baker contributed to this reportMORE NEWS: New Yorkers At Bronx Food Pantry Describe Need For Federal Stimulus Checks, $15 Minimum Wage; 'Got To Choose Between Rent, Food'
More From CBS New York: