LIVINGSTON, N.J. (CBSNewYork) — Essex County, home to Newark, New Jersey’s largest city, has been the hardest hit county by the coronavirus pandemic, with the highest number of positive cases and deaths.
Leaders there are working hard to get vaccines out quickly, setting an example for others.READ MORE: Calls For Immediate Change Ring Out After 36-Year-Old Asian Man Stabbed In The Back In Lower Manhattan
CBS2’s Meg Baker followed Livingston resident Bob Sender as he made his way to a vaccination booth on Thursday.
“This was incredibly efficient,” Sender said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here
- Connecticut book online here
The old Sears at the Livingston Mall is one of five sites in the county being used to vaccinate the masses. Locations have been open for 20 days and done more than 23,000 inoculations. The process takes less than 25 minutes.
“By the time I went online to register to the time I was here was three and a half days,” county resident Steve Weller said.
Essex centralized its vaccine registration system. Residents sign up at essexcovid.org or call the county hotline for help. County Executive Joe DiVincenzo, or “Joe D” as he’s known to many, said the planning started months ago.
“We had no choice, you know. This is public health emergency,” DiVincenzo said.
He said others have been asking him for advice. He said it starts with communication.READ MORE: New COVID Variant First Detected In New York City Spreading In Northeast
“We actually did a video for cable. Besides that, we’re doing mailings, we’re doing ads in newspapers, we’re doing ads in magazines,” DiVincenzo said.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Explanation Of N.Y.’s Yellow, Orange, Red Zones (.pdf)
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
Maya Lordo is the county’s health officer.
“The appointment for your second dose is automatically given to you once you get your first appointment,” Lordo said.
The site in Livingston has the capability to administer 2,500 vaccinations a day. It just needs the supply.
“They’re only as good as the federal government,” DiVincenzo said.
Many of the people Baker spoke to said inoculation is a ticket to see their grandkids. It’s a light at the end of a dark tunnel.
The site is a no-waste facility. Any doses left over from missed appointments go to volunteers on site, the nearby psychiatric hospital, and to the uniformed staff at the county corrections facility.
CBS2’s Meg Baker contributed to this reportMORE NEWS: Evolving Social Media Apps Emphasize Talking Over Texting
MORE FROM CBS NEW YORK