UNIONDALE, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — There was an official change in leadership Monday for Nassau County‘s 1.4 million residents.Nassau County's Republican Majority Calls On Albany To Repeal Cashless Bail Law
The oath of office was administered by his wife, an attorney.
It was a new day in Nassau, as evidenced by the crowd inside the Cradle of Aviation Museum, many unmasked and no proof of vaccination requested.
“Nassau is normal again. We have seen the ravages of the COVID-19 pandemic, but we can no longer be afraid. We still have challenges, but they are manageable,” Blakeman said.
- New York State book online here or call 1-833-NYS-4-VAX
- New York City book online here or call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC vaccinations by zip code
- Nassau County more info here
- Suffolk County more info here
- Westchester County more info here
- New Jersey book online here or call 1-855-568-0545
- Connecticut book online here
He said that includes a common sense approach to minimizing health danger while recognizing economic, social, and mental health consequences.
But with Nassau leading the state with a nearly 25% COVID infection rate, Democratic leaders blasted Blakeman for recklessly disregarding safety protocols by hosting what they called a potential super-spreader event.
South Shore Democrats said that is certainly not the type of leadership Nassau needs now.READ MORE: Snow Piles Up On Long Island, With 9" In Syosset And 8" In East Williston
“That’s not our new normal where I represent. We are covered up, want to protect our elderly, our children,” said Assemblywoman Taylor Darling.
“This is America. People have freedom of choice. I chose to wear a mask. I think people should wear a mask. It makes you safer,” Rep. Tom Suozzi said.
Blakeman blasted what he called “hysteria,” insisting Nassau is not in crisis.
- Complete COVID Vaccine Coverage
- Vaccination Sites In New York City | Call 877-VAX-4NYC
- Track NYC Vaccinations By Zip Code
- Find NYC Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- CDC’S COVID Vaccine FAQ
- CDC’s COVID Tracking Map By County
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
And he repeated the mantra that swept him into office in a red tsunami, despite a popular incumbent credited for fixing Nassau’s long-broken assessment system. He said it’s still broken.
“There is no reason why millionaires should pay zero taxes and that homes that are identical in the same community pay vastly different tax rates,” Blakeman said.
And he said he’ll go to Albany to repeal bail reform.
“Criminals have more rights than victims. Enough is enough,” Blakeman said.MORE NEWS: New Nassau County Executive Bruce Blakeman Makes More Waves, Signs Order Giving Public Schools Mask Mandate Option
No stranger to politics, Blakemen had run for Congress and New York City mayor in the past, but he has finally landed an elected executive role. He said his goal is for Nassau to become the most vibrant place to live in the world, now that it is back to normal again.