NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — A Staten Island bar cited for numerous social distancing violations remained closed Wednesday.
Mac’s Public House planned to hold a grand reopening, but the event was called off.READ MORE: Sources: Ex-Boyfriend Gunned Down Lizbeth Mass While She Was Working At Construction Site On City Island
Earlier this winter, the surrounding zip code was designated a COVID-19 orange zone, forcing restaurants and bars to suspend indoor dining. Soon after, indoor dining was shut down citywide.
A lawyer for the owners claimed all charges had been dropped and it would reopen Wednesday. However, the State Liquor Authority told CBS2 the bar’s liquor license is still suspended.READ MORE: New Jersey Ranked 48th In List Of Best States In The U.S.
“Mac’s Public House is a threat to New Yorkers’ health, and as such their liquor license remains suspended. To be extremely clear: Mac’s Public House has not sued to overturn the State Liquor Authority’s actions, no judge in a case related to Mac’s has ruled against the state’s public health guidance or the SLA’s enforcement actions, the SLA charges have not been dismissed, and this establishment cannot legally serve alcohol,” the SLA said in a statement.
- Ask CBS2’s Dr. Max Your Vaccine Questions
- COVID Vaccine FAQ From CDC
- Find A New York City Testing Site Near You
- Check NYC Testing Wait Times
- Explanation Of N.Y.’s Yellow, Orange, Red Zones (.pdf)
- Resources: Help With Unemployment, Hunger, Mental Health & More
- Remote Learning Tools For Students And Parents At Home
- Complete Coronavirus Coverage
One of the bar owners, Danny Presti, is also accused of hitting a sheriff’s officer with his car, dragging him 100 yards and breaking both of his legs.
“To be clear: The criminal charges brought by my office against defendant Daniel Presti, owner of Mac’s Public House, have NOT been dismissed and that matter is pending,” Staten Island District Attorney Michael McMahon tweeted Wednesday. “We fully intend to present this case to a grand jury in the near future contingent on COVID.”
Mac’s Pub is in a zip code with a 10.6% positivity rate, compared to the rest of the city at 6.2%.MORE NEWS: New York Philharmonic Performs At The Shed As Part Of New York PopsUp Series
MORE FROM CBS NEW YORK
- New Yorkers Frustrated As Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell Blocks Vote On $2,000 Stimulus Checks: ‘They Are Being Cheap’
- Black Teenager Falsely Accused Of Stealing Cellphone At New York City Hotel Speaks Out: ‘I’m Still Kind Of Shellshocked’
- Squirrel-Mania! Queens Residents Describe In Graphic Detail Being Attacked By Crazed Rodents